Tuesday, August 2, 2011

When better is different from well

Big Guy will be released from the hospital tomorrow and return to his residence. The doctors feel he has stabilized. We asked about changing his meds, but were told that when he is older he will master the art of self control. 

 Do I believe that waiting is the best we can do? Do we have a choice? Do we have enough time before he is legally an adult to take that approach? This is not the hospital's problem; he is no longer a danger to himself or others, and so their job is done. Ours remains.

4 comments:

  1. This makes me want to beat my head against a wall. Oy.

    Thinking good safe stable thoughts for you all and especially Big Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julia I'm sorry. The responsibility you speak of I totally understand, having been through our own things with my oldest. I always found that constant reading kept me abreast of the best choices for our son. I know you are such a devoted and loving mother, and that is the best gift he could have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Julia, more hard climbs, more stumbles and sometimes the top
    of that mountain is not in sight--for a LONG time...

    I guess it's the PROMISE that keeps us going-- the promise of a better
    day, a feeling that just MAYBE Big Guy has some winning ballgames
    ahead.

    Hugs, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shirley,
    I don't know about promises of that kind. I do know about hope. I wrote about that last summer:
    http://lotsalaundry.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-morning-as-little-guy-and-i.html

    What keeps me going is that Big Guy is my son, and he needs me, and stopping to wallow in despair for more than 30 minutes isn't going to do anyone any good. What keeps me going is that I'm not called to regret the past, but to live today. I have many things to be thankful for, even if I don't have the thing *I want* to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete