Monday, April 12, 2010

Dancer

Andrew and Eldest got back from MIT just in time to see Dancer's last performance. The bus got in at 4:45, and they had tickets for the 5pm show. I was working backstage and watched from the wings.

Several thing struck me yesterday:

1. Dancer's made a lot of progress this year. I've always thought in terms of there being "the big kids" and "the little kids" in these performances. But Dancer is part of an intermediate group that's doing real stuff and looking like real ballet students. She's not a little kid any more.

2. I'm naive about how rude kids can be. Yesterday I asked a 13-year old to stop using graphic language, and she looked me straight in the eye and said, "But I always talk that way!" (I looked straight back and replied evenly, "You don't in here!")

3. Dancer choses good friends.

4. My kid kept herself organized and got herself to rehearsals all week long. I did her hair, but she handled everything else. She held up well under the verbal barrage of her stressed-out dance master, and managed her exhaustion well. I know she would have loved to see all her family and friend in the audience, but she never complained that (at $30/ticket) it wasn't possible.

5.My camera was in Massachusetts, so I have no pictures. But Dancer, you were beautiful. You are beautiful, both inside and out.

Update: someone sent me pictures! Dancer is in the middle row, on the far right.

No comments:

Post a Comment