Sunday, March 4, 2012

One of my favorite parts of Lent is...

Purim!

With thanks to my dear friend Liz, who never fails to send
a bountiful Purim basket!

The card below reads:
On Purim we are commanded to send gifts of food to neighbors. (One reason is purely practical: we rid our homes of flour and other chametz in anticipation of Pesach.) Traditionally the portions include at least two different types of food: one of flour,a nd one of fruit that does not need to be cooked; blessings over grain and fruit are recited. We are also commanded to give tzedaka.
Here's what the goodies look like laid out on a platter:


I'm partial to the Hamentaschen, myself. And I always think it's fabulous that the Purim carnival here falls on a Sunday, when we're not restricted by our Lenten fast. (Purim celebrates the deliverance of the Jewish people through the wise actions of Esther; the hamentaschen are "Haman's hats".)

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, hamentaschen! Possibly my favorite New York cookie, right up there with linzer cookies. It *all* looks quite good, though!

    ReplyDelete