Saturday, October 2, 2010

A visit to Eldest

Call me crazy, but sometimes a mom's gotta see her college girl. And sometimes a mom's got a big deadline and needs a block of time to do some work. And sometimes those two needs coincide, and spending four hours on a bus each way makes a whole lot of sense, because unless you sit in front of two 20-something girls who speak loudly and like, use the word like almost, like, every third word (which I did, and did not appreciate at 7am), you can get a whole lot of work done.

How is Eldest? Fabulous. We went for a long walk and had lunch at a kinda cool middle eastern restaurant, then took another long walk back to her dorm. Hung out there while she prepped for teaching her SAT prep class tomorrow; I worked. Then we went for a long walk in a different direction and ended up in Chinatown for supper. Along the way to and from all that we talked about her music groups (she's singing in a concert choir as well as an a capella group) and what was harder than she expected about college (getting herself fed at breakfast and lunch), and how to do laundry.

I got to hug her and walk hand-in-hand, re-stock her with fresh-picked MacIntosh apples, and be happy to be with her. It was short, but it was a whole lot better than nothing at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm popping in from seeing your comment on Conversion Diary about marriage. I too believe that the most important thing we are here to do is help get our family to Heaven, so that comment really touched me. I'm going to have a look around your blog. I see one (irritable child syndrome) ha! That looks like one I'm gonna like. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete