Saturday, October 9, 2010

Shakespeare and kids

I'm not sure if it's a homeschool thing or a city thing, but my kids -- and many of their friends -- like Shakespeare. When Big Guy was seven he dressed in a toga for Halloween and recited most of Mark Antony's "Friends, Romans, countrymen" speech. For years his favorite movie was Henry V.

We've seen a number of the comedies in free summer productions, but generally eschew the tragedies for the younger kids. Nevertheless, the plots are in the air; Little Guy bought a skull-shaped goodie-bucket and is planning on being Hamlet for Halloween. He's in the process of memorizing "Alas, poor Yorick!" to add a touch of authenticity (though Snuggler had the brilliant idea of adding a "Hi! My name is..." sticker for good measure). Snuggler was toying with being the ghost, but then found a pretty, long dress at Goodwill and will be Ophelia.

Today the kids came home from the neighborhood Harvest Festival, and among their prizes were gooey eyeballs.

"Look, Mom! I'm King Lear!"

I think that's all he knows of the plot -- that someone goes blind. But maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't he mean Gloucester?
    Still...aww! It's so cute!
    I don't have a Halloween costume :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but if he knew that much about Lear I'd be worried!

    ReplyDelete