Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Magazines

I took Snuggler to a doctor's appointment today, and while we were waiting I picked up a magazine. It was a women's mag, the kind that looks the same no matter what the season. There are the usual pieces on sexy hair, inexpensive fashion looks, whether your man really loves you, how to get more organized, healthy meals that won't break your budget, and how to get the raise you deserve. Oh -- and there's always a featured interview with someone I've never heard of.

As I flipped through the pages it dawned on me that a lot of people -- a lot of people -- must care about this stuff. Here's how out of sync I am:

  • I don't think I've ever, in my entire life, had a discussion with a girlfriend about sexy hair. 
  • My wardrobe comes back into fashion every ten years (and I'm annoyed if it wears out before then). 
  • I wouldn't trust a quiz written by a 25-year old assistant editor to tell me if my man loves me. What does she know about it that I don't know?
  • When I see an article on organizing my home written by a mother of more than five kids, I'll read it.
  • Inexpensive, healthy meals consist of cabbage and carrots and squash in the winter, and plenty of green stuff and fruit in the summer. Make it yourself, and there's nothing to write about.
  • If you deserve a raise, ask for it. Have Plan B in place for when they say no. 'Nuff said.
There. Now that that crankiness is out of my system, just keep me away from the parenting magazines.

1 comment:

  1. Roar! And I can confirm that you have never discussed sexy hair. But, could you talk about "girlfriend" please? Because I just don't get that. You, dear, are my friend, qualifier unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete