Sunday, March 3, 2013

Resources for parents of kids with "issues"

One of the wonders in my life is an email list for parents of kids who are bright but have "issues". I've been on that list for years, and believe me: it helps to have a group of BTDT people to turn to when you're baffled, frustrated, worried or need advice about something you don't want to tell your neighbor. They're the ones who taught me to put on my own oxygen mask first, who have recommended helpful books on learning disabilities and how to deal with an emotionally inflexible child, and who know a lot about how to advocate for services.

The other day two things came through. The first was Kveller's post on Ten Things I Wish Someone had Told Me About Parenting a Special Needs Child. The second was a link to the Centre for Clinical Intervention site, which has free workbooks online. The topics covered include panic attacks, perfectionism, procrastination, social anxiety, excessive worrying, distress intolerance, and more. It's not the same as getting actual help, but not a bad place to start if you're trying to figure out what kind of help your child (or you!) need with a particular issue.



3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, do I ever need an email list like that. Are they accepting new members? May I ask you for the link? I'm pphone at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I emailed you with the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always give such good resources and books. I've taught students with emotional problems for years(I still teach some but only if they have reading issues)some of the books or resources I haven't heard of but I always check them out. I'm sure you realize how much you are helping others. If you don't realize it you need to:)

    ReplyDelete