Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Satisfaction

I made a mess today, and I have to say that it felt good. Yesterday I bought an exercise bike (used), which arrived this morning. I think it must've grown overnight, because it appears substantially larger in our living room than it did in the bedroom of the people from whom we bought it.

In order to make room for the bike I displaced a hundred oversize children's books (atlases, science encyclopedias, The Roman News, a compendium of Rube Goldberg Inventions and the like), and a file cabinet. It will take a while to find new homes, either here or elsewhere, for those things. So the sofas and the floor are now scattered with piles that I have created.

I know I'm going to regret the mess. But there's a certain satisfaction in being the prime mover instead of the prime remover. For a time.

2 comments:

  1. O brave new world that has such bikes in it...

    Get Little Guy to figure out how to run a lamp off of it. You know, science! Electricity! Gizmos! Rubber belts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention that. It was one of the first things he talked about when he saw the bike. He wants to develop a way to capture the energy produced when kids ride their bicycles...

    ReplyDelete