Thursday, May 16, 2013

Odds and ends (again)

Andrew and I celebrated our 20th anniversary yesterday. It was a quiet celebration, crammed in between appointments and work and crises. Dancer made an almond cake from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Foods and Wines of Spain:



Big Guy helped me make Chinese Mango Chicken from the awesome Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge:



Andrew brought tulips and a bottle of wine. The kids raised a toast to us with sparkling cider. We didn't eat until late because of a plot twist with my PTSD child, who suddenly has intense paranoia. For a while we thought we'd be non-celebrating in the ER. And then this morning it looked again like we were on our way there. But so far we have squeaked past that. Could be a side effect of meds, could be something new.

You never know what the next ten minutes will bring. Sometimes it's peace. Sometimes it's not. Put a lot of ten-minuteses together, and somehow you arrive at 20 years.

*         *         *        *

We had a piece of good news today: the College Board granted all of our requests for accommodations for the SAT for Big Guy. We'd been told the best chance of success would be to be able to include a letter from his doctor outlining the specific medical reason/diagnosis for each accommodation needed. Big Guy takes the test in June.

Which reminds me: I need to buy gauze today for his infected toes. Yes, I know that's a non-sequiteur.


*         *         *        *

I haven't felt like writing lately, which is odd. There's too much going on, with too many people, on too many levels, to filter it all and order it into words and sentences and paragraphs. Yet one of the main ways I make sense out of chaos is by putting it in words. 

Also, I'm kind of fried from editing six masters' theses in two weeks. Dunno how Martin Luther nailed 95 of'em.

*        *         *          *


Little Guy's end-of-year standardized test arrived the other day. I stared at it, astonished that I'd remember to order the thing. This is the kind of thing that, pre-children, I never would have known could make a mother happy. Really? You're proud that you remembered to do something that's been on your to-do list for a month?! Yes, really.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, Julia you are in my prayers. You are one of my favorite Daily Guideposts writers...I did not know the depth of your faith until I started reading your blog. I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Pat. The same holds for me. God Bless, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! You just reminded me to buy my end-of-year standardized test!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, and Happy 20th Anniversary...truly many 10 min segments all strung together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 20 years of marriage! May you have many more blessed years together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary and may you and Andrew be blessed with many more. How special to be able to celebrate with the children participating.

    ReplyDelete