Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Finding joy

There are a handful of blogs I loosely follow for work-related reasons. Today I read a piece at Her.meneutics about Kay Warren's new book, and loved this quote:
"Happiness is built on happenings,” Warren told me. “Joy, on the other hand, is about connecting the eternal to the internal so that we can interpret our externals in ways that allow us to say, ‘everything around me may not be all right—but I’m all right."
Yes. Oh, yes. That's what I was trying to say in my post on Cathedral Parenting. But I think she said it more succinctly.

*       *        *         *        *

I have a college reunion coming up. For the first time ever I wrote something to be included in the class Record Book. I had to think hard about how to allocate my 500 words, especially since I've been mute for decades. (Yeah -- me, mute. What's with that?)

One of the unexpected benefits of middle age is that the compulsion to prove something mellows. Most of us have discovered that the real story isn't about job titles and awards, but about facing down difficulty and learning to find joy anyway. On some level we've all succeeded in life, and on some level we've failed. Only part of that is on one's resume. The rest of it is in the you-ness of you.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read what you have to say about the you-ness of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine mentioned to me once while I was contemplating why I felt down so often---My very wise friend said, "Well you must pray for Joy"
    It is a prayer I now pray often and over the years it has helped more times than I can count. The definition you gave is so true--it is knowing your fine-regardless of the situations you find in your life

    ReplyDelete