Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bits and pieces

We're off to the lab today, since when we switched pediatricians we discovered my kids were missing vaccinations. It's possible that the record-keeping just wasn't updated, but it's simpler to vaccinate than it is to take blood to get titers to see if they already had the shots and then go back if it turns out they didn't. I try to keep the poking-kids-with-sharp-objects activity to a minimum around here.

*      *       *      *      *

My youngest has been acting a lot like an annoying eight-year old boy lately. It's not going over well, especially with his next-older sister. Waiting for him to grow out of this stage isn't really an option; if he keeps it up, he may not live that long. Which is why I imposed a draconian consequence last night: since he wasn't behaving well at home, he had to accompany me to a community meeting.

Just who was punished by this is hard to tell. Especially since it turned out that for the first time in years there was another child at the meeting. The two kids trotted off down the hall and played happily for 90 minutes.

At least they weren't annoying.


*      *       *      *      *

I've gotta say, I don't buy into the "You're only as happy as your least-happy child" mentality. If I thought that way I'd be miserable all the time; with five kids someone's always unhappy. Besides, think how ludicrous it would sound to say, "I'm only as happy as my husband" or "I'm only as happy as my least-happy friends." Weird.







2 comments:

  1. I remember those days of punishment by staying with a parent. I always thought it was more of a punishment for me than for the child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At a family wedding the cousins were goofing around a little to enthusiastically in the lower level of the club house (where the food was) playing catch with wedding favors. I levelled a look at my 8yo granddaughter. "Do you know how to behave?" She smirked and saud "No". "Well then you may just have to come upstairs (where the DJ was) and sit next to your Grandma." My 14 yo niece said "Yeah, and you will have to dance with my Mom". They both squealed and settled down.

    ReplyDelete