Friday, August 16, 2013

Healing and growing and something nice



My jaw is doing a lot better. I'm still wired up, but the bulk of the pain is gone. On Monday the dentist told me I was healing nicely... and that I shouldn't chew on the left side for another two weeks. Fortunately I can now chew gently on the right. That's okay; the memory of last week's pain is strong enough that I am still a  long way from yearning for a toasted bagel with cream cheese!

*         *         *         *

This week I've been bogged down in a backlog of work. This is good, inasmuch as it means I have work, but I'm feeling a bit like Katy and the Big Snow, with a whole town to plow through.

When I think of how I've grown up in recent years, learning to plow through hard stuff is definitely near the top of the list. There are skills which help: breaking problems into smaller pieces so they're not so overwhelming, re-framing problems, acknowledging how I feel and then moving on, consciously paying attention to the positives. Getting out and doing things for others, whether it's talking about how to homeschool or how to handle a tricky parenting issue or teaching a class, keeps me from getting too self-absorbed, too.

That said, at this point I'd just as soon have a nice long streak of good luck. The broken jaw was kind of over the top.

*         *        *        *

Fort Tryon Park TrustAs if to signal a change of direction, the other day I ran into the woman who's in charge of the park for our part of Manhattan. “I’ve been meaning to call you,” she said, “Would you be willing to be our honoree for the Fort Tryon Park Trust benefit next month?”

“What would you be honoring?” I asked, jokingly. I’m not a big financial donor. I volunteer at events and teach classes because I can, not for thanks or recognition. I don’t care for awards or shout-outs or thank-you's. 

“We want to honor you for being an asset to our community,” she replied, "For all the things you do." 

I thought about that, and decided I could own it: to be honored for being a light, rather than to bask in the limelight. Besides, this is one of my favorite events of the year, and one that I helped establish. It's pretty awesome to sip wine overlooking the Hudson at sunset. If you can come and support the park on September 17, please do. 


6 comments:

  1. How nice that your light is appreciated! And maybe it will inspire others to contribute similarly -- a potential benefit (to the world) of your recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Own it! Givers sometimes have to remember that they can be receivers too. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's great that you're being honored. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS, JULIA!
    EVERYONE NEEDS AN "ATTA BOY" (OR GIRL)
    EVERY NOW AND THEN! I'M SO GLAD THAT
    YOUR VALUE IS BEING RECOGNIZED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fabulous. Very well deserved. Wish I could make it to the event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Julia! A very well-deserved honor, I'm sure. You never cease to amaze me. I'll be there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete