Friday, September 28, 2012

Bits and pieces

Off to a funeral this a.m., for the dad of a homeschooling family we've known for more than a decade. .

*         *          *          *

Casting is out for this year's Nutcracker, and Dancer scored excellent roles: snow, flowers, pigeons and lead Chinese. (It's a NYC-themed show, so of course there are pigeons.)


*         *          *          *


Speaking of pigeons... yesterday I walked crosstown to get to a dental appointment, and saw a crowd of people. At first I thought it was yet another movie-star sighting (yawn). But it was a red-tailed hawk, a good 20" tall, finishing up a pigeon lunch.




*         *          *          *

Speaking of dentists, I'm probably going to lose the tooth. But the dentist said I have remarkably good and strong teeth. Well, except for this one and its match on the other side, which is already gone. And their mates on the bottom.

*         *          *          *

After going to the dentist I had a block of time before I needed to be at Dancer's meet-the-teacher night. I meandered northward, through a part of town I hadn't been in for a while. Around 5pm I found myself near Grand Central, admiring the Art Deco buildings (I love Art Deco). Then it dawned on me that I was near the church where Big Guy and Dancer were baptised, so I stopped in. There was a service that was about to begin, so I stayed. It was quiet and lovely and peaceful and calming. I do think that one of the best things about living in the city is that the churches are open during the day, and you can go in and rest.

It turned out that Big Guy's godmother was there. And then when I was leaving I ran into Ms. Dober! 

*         *          *          *

While I was getting drilled, Andrew took Little Guy on a field trip to the Ukrainian Museum. They learned about kilims and then got to weave a bit. The two guys are taking field trips every Thursday this year. It's a win-win-win plan: they get out of the house, have bonding time, do something interesting... and I get a day to work, uninterrupted.


No comments:

Post a Comment