Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why I live in the big city

  1. I'd rather see and smell the homeless than forget about them.
  2. Life would be boring if everyone looked like me.
  3. I don't have to drive. Ever.
  4. By middle school my kids can take themselves wherever they need to go.
  5. Each year I discover neighborhoods I've never seen, and people I never imagined existed.
  6. Bumping into people in the grocery/playground/subway is much easier than always having to plan to see them.
  7. Our library is enormous.
  8. Free summer concerts, fabulous parks, incredible museums.
  9. I can give up trying to keep up with the Joneses: their monthly rent equals my annual housing bill.
  10. Learning to get along gets bumped way up on the priority queue when you're living on top of each other.
I also like having a giveaway table in the laundry room (it's our own Freecycle), groceries around the corner, a neighborhood playground where the world congregates, having friends of different ages, Chinatown, and good Art Deco buildings.


    2 comments:

    1. I really like the first item on your list. And I'm envious of the third.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yep - when we stayed in NYC it was different to London but also very similar. At the end of our time I told Wookie, "I could live here" :)

      ReplyDelete