Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Food for the soul

Lately when people have asked how things are going I've been replying, "Oh, on average we're okay... but there's a large distribution on that bell curve!" We have a lot going on these days, event-wise and emotionally.

On Monday at about 4:30 I realized I had neglected to go to the grocery store to get something to make for supper. (I had had something, but I forgot to put the chicken back in the fridge after I took it out of the freezer to thaw on Sunday night, so it was waiting for me on the counter, nice and slimy, when I got up Monday morning.) I needed to leave home at 5pm for a meeting on the other side of town, which would be followed by a 7:15 meeting back in my neighborhood. Three of my kids had just had an intense exhibition of sibling fireworks, so I didn't want to run to the store until I was sure there wouldn't be an encore. But I had only 30 minutes to shop and cook before I walked out the door.

As all this was spinning around in my mind, the phone rang. It was a neighbor, saying she wanted to bring something up. I was still trying to put my thoughts together when the doorbell rang. There was Cari, my neighbor, with a large tray covered with aluminum foil. She said, "I realize it's probably too late for supper tonight, but..."

Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment