Friday, August 28, 2009

The news

Our next-door neighbors are away this week, so we've been picking up their copy of the newspaper. We don't get the paper ourselves, nor do we watch the news on TV. Call me pathetic, but I find it hard to stay focused on what's important in life even without the distraction of knowing about every crisis on the planet. My brain (and maybe my heart) isn't big enough to absorb all the news that's out there. Hence my current events strategy is to scan the front page of the NY Times web site each morning.

Still, it's kind of nice to have a one-week interlude of reading the paper. One reads things differently on the printed page. It's a savoring, absorbing activity. (When was the last time you savored anything online?) Ask me what Tuesday's headlines were, though, and I don't have a clue. Is that my weakness? Or is that simply because most of what passes for news is unmemorable?

No comments:

Post a Comment